Descendants of George Phelps of Windsor, Connecticut
According to Phelps and Servin
Contributed by Eric Landry Phelps; edited by Brian Phelps.
Excerpted from Search For The Passengers of the Mary & John - 1630, Volume 7. Available by mail order from The Mary and John Clearinghouse.
There is some doubt as to the origin of George Phelps of Windsor, Connecticut. Phelps & Servin held that he was the brother of William Phelps from Tewkesbury. This has been completely disproven.
What is know is that In 1635 a George Phelps joined the emigration to the new settlement of Windsor at
the junction of the Farmington & Connecticut
Rivers, now Windsor. He had eight children
by his first wife (1638-1647) and three by his second (1649-1653). About
1670 be moved to Westfield, Massachusetts with his second wife. His chief
public duties were on the juries of Hartford, Connecticut & Springfield,
Massachusetts. His estate: 317 pounds.
For details on the origins of George P., see Researching George [Phelps?] of the Ship Recovery.]
Children of George Phelps and Phillury Randall
Extracted from Phelps and Servin, p 1268.
Isaac Phelps b.
20 Aug. 1638, Windsor, m. Ann
Gaylord, 11 Mar. 1665 (1645-1689),
dau. of William Gaylord, Jr. & Ann
Porter (Gaylord 2.1). She d. 27
Sept. 1690. He d. 2 June 1725, Westfield.
He moved from Windsor to Westfield where he was town clerk, assessor, surveyor, town treasurer and Schoolmaster. It is said that the Westfield church records contain a long relation to the religious experiences of Isaac Phelps. At the age of 76 he was given the title of Captain, and in 1724, when he was 86, he was chosen Town Treasurer. It appears that Isaac may have been the only one of the family to be able to write, while his father, George, his uncle, William Phelps and his younger brothers used primitive "marks".
Children of Isaac Phelps & Ann Gaylord (Phelps and Servin, p 1269):
Jr., b. 10 Sept. 1666, Windsor. m. Mary
Dec. 1690 (b. 1673), dau.. of Lt. John Moseley & Mary
Westfield. She m. (2) Eleazer Weller, 7 Nov, 1704. Isaac
d. 14 June 1698, Westfield, (Windsor-508)
Children of Isaac Phelps Jr. & Mary Mosley (Phelps and Servin, p 1276)
- David Phelps b. 17 Jan. 1691, Westfield. d. 26 Mar. 1692.
- Isaac Phelps, III b. 26 Jan. 1692, Westfield, m. (1) prob. _____ Clark, dau. of David Clark of Simsbury & Windsor, who granted land to Isaac, his son-in-law.
- Isaac Phelps b. & d. 22 Aug. 1727 (twin).
- Dau. b. 22 Aug. 1727 (twin), d. Sept. 1727.
- Sarah Phelps b. 3 July 1730, Westfield, m. Thomas Moseley, 17 Nov. 1753. She d. bef. 1772, No children.
- Rebecca Phelps b. 12 July 1732, Westfield. m. David Dewey. She d. bef. 1772. No children.
- Lt. Isaac Phelps IV b. 16 Apr. 1734, Westfield, m. (1) Jemima Holcomb, 1750 (b. 1735), dau. of Joshua Holcomb (Holcomb 4.5,2.7), (2) wid. Anna Brown, 27 Jan. 1779 of Sandisfield, Massachusetts who d. 26 Feb. 1783, Wid, of Palmer. (3) Joanna Hathaway (1743-1829), prob, of Suffield, Connecticut. Isaac d. 13 Feb. 1829, Otis, Massachusetts. Res: Tyringham, Massachusetts, Windsor, Connecticut, & Otis, Massachusetts. Sgt. in Revolution & Lieutenant, 1786. Five children by first wife (1753-1767), one by second (1780), and two by third (1799-1795). (Phelps-1327)
- Mary Phelps b. 12 July 1736, Windsor, m. (1) Artemus Eastman, 31 Dec- 1762, (2) Michael Griffin. Res: Simsbury. Five children by second husband. (Phelps-1328)
- Bathsheba Phelps m. Samuel Holcomb, Jr. (b. 1721), s. of Samuel Holcomb & Martha Phelps (Holcomb 6.5.7). He m. (2) Phebe _____, who d. 1750. Samuel had three children (1741-1746). (Holcomb-92)
- Theodosia Phelps b. 7 May 1738, Windsor. m. Capt. Micah Griffin (b. 1738), s. of Lt. Nathaniel Griffin & Elizabeth Griffin (NYGBR Jan. 1910, p. 26).
- Aaron Phelps b. 31 Jan. 1695, Westfield. m. Rachel Bagg, 31 Jan. 1729. Res: Westfield, Massachusetts.
- Aaron Phelps Jr. b. 20 Jan. 1730, Westfield. m. Mary Noble, 22 June 1758. (1736-1830), dau. of Moses Noble & Mary Grant (Grant 184.108.40.206). He d. 12 Mar. 1789, Westfield. Eleven children (1759-1780). (Phelps-1328)
- Rachel Phelps b. 9 May 1732, d. 10 Oct. 1738.
- Hannah Phelps b. 12 FAY 1734, m. Dea, Joseph Dewey, Jr., 25 Nov, 1773 (1714-1799), s. of Sgt, Joseph Dewey & Sarah Warner. He m. (1) Beulah Sackett (Hannum 220.127.116.11).
- Noah Phelps b. 20 June 1136, d. 26 Sept. 1841.
- Ruth Phelps b. 20 May 1738, Westfield. m. Joseph Dewey III, 6 Oct. 1762 (1741-1815), s. of Joseph Dewey Jr. & Beulah Sackett (Hannum 18.104.22.168). His father m. his wife's sister, Hannah Phelps. Ruth d. Jan. 1803, Westfield farmer. He was drafted and fined 20 pounds when he refused to serve. Six children (1763-1779). (Phelps and Servin, p 1328)
- David Phelps b. 16 Mar. 1740, d. 14 Oct. 1747.
Children of Isaac Phelps, III & _____ Clark (1) (Phelps and Servin, p 1297)
(2) m. Sarah Palmer, 5 Oct. 1729, who d. 4 Jan, 1741/2, dau. of Timothy Palmer. (3) m. pos. Joanna Adams, 8 May 1755; who d. 4 Nov. 1771. Isaac d. 1777. Res: Westfield, Massachusetts; Windsor, Connecticut; and Poquonick.
Children of Isaac Phelps III & Sarah Palmer (2) (Phelps and Servin, p 1297)
Children of Aaron Phelps & Rachel Bagg (Phelps and Servin, p 1298):